Cool Ways to Beat the Heat
Frosty Cantaloupe Soup
Recipe from MrFood.com
4 cups ripe cantaloupe, chunked
3 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
¼ cup honey
½ of a 6 oz. can of frozen orange juice concentrated, thawed
1 ½ cups ginger ale, chilled
Fresh mint leaves
1. Process cantaloupe chunks, ice cream, honey and orange juice concentrate in a food processor until smooth, in batches if necessary; transfer to a large pitcher or serving bowl. Cover mixture, and chill for at least 1 hour.
2. Just before serving, gently stir in the ginger ale. Garnish individual servings with fresh mint leaves.
Variation: Substitute the cantaloupe for honeydew by using chunked honeydew and substitute the orange juice concentrate with 6-ounce can of thawed frozen limeade concentrate.
Watermelon Gazpacho Soup
Recipe from AllRecipes.com
6 cups cubed seeded watermelon
2 English (hothouse) cucumbers, chopped
2 red bell peppers, chopped
1 onion, chopped
½ jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
¼ cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
3 tablespoons honey
½ cup pineapple juice
20 small mint leaves
1. Reserve 20 small pieces of watermelon for garnish.
2. Working in batches, place the remaining watermelon, the cucumbers, red bell peppers, onion, jalapeno pepper, lemon juice, olive oil, 3 tablespoons of fresh mint, the ginger, honey and pineapple juice into a blender, and blend for about 30 seconds per batch. The mixture should be well-blended but retain some texture.
3. Pour into a large pitcher or bowl, and refrigerate 1 hour.
4. Serve in bowls, and garnish each bowl with a couple of chunks of the retained watermelon and 2 small mint leaves.
Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes
Recipe from Parties by Melanie Barnard and Brooke Dojny
4 ounces of soft blue cheese
3 ounces of cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons minced shallots
2 tablespoons minced parsley
Fresh ground black pepper
2 pints cherry tomatoes—red, yellow or mixed
1. Thoroughly blend cheeses, milk, shallots, minced parsley and black pepper in a food processor or use an electric mixer.
2. Clean tomatoes
3. Fill each tomato with cheese mixture
Recipe from Food.com
8 cups cubed seedless watermelon
2 12-ounce cans frozen lemonade concentrate
4 cups water
1. Place watermelon in a blender or food processor.
2. Cover and blend on medium speed until smooth.
3. Place lemonade concentrate and water in a large pitcher or punch bowl.
4. Add watermelon.
5. Mix well and garnish with small wedge of watermelon.
Pistachio Dessert Salad
Recipe from SheKnows.com
1 pound can crushed pineapple including juice
1 package pistachio instant pudding
1 medium container Cool Whip
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1 cup chopped nuts
1. Stir dry ingredients into pineapple and juice.
2. Mix in other ingredients.
3. Pour into mold and chill.