Local Sweet Spots for Cold Treats
The weather has hit triple digits, and, besides moving from one air-conditioned location to the next, there’s no better way to cool down during the hot summer months than the classic frozen treat: ice cream. Luckily for locals, the Valley is full of some delightful eateries that specialize in all things chilled and delicious.
- New location at the Scottsdale Quarter; also located at Scottsdale Waterfront, Uptown Plaza at Central and Camelback and 44th Street and Indian School in Phoenix.
- Founded in 2013 in California, Creamistry is a franchise where “science and dessert collide” as customers choose an ice cream base, one of nearly 40 flavors and toppings. Everything is then mixed together with liquid nitrogen for a flashy finish. Patrons can choose from ice cream bowls, cones, shakes, floats and more. It’s as much of a show as it is a tasty treat.
- Popular flavors include birthday cake, blood orange sorbet, Madagascar vanilla bean and sea salt caramel.
Splurge Ice Cream and Candy Shop
- Located at The Orchard Phoenix, a 2-acre venue at 7100 N. 12th St. in Phoenix.
- Owned by Ken and Lucia Schnitzer alongside their business partner, Jerry Monsoor, Splurge’s menu has 18 toppings and about a dozen different flavors to choose from, with cones in a variety of shapes and sizes, including gluten-free. There is not just ice cream; it’s a great locale for gelato and root beer floats, too.
- Summer’s top seasonal flavors include prickly pear sorbet and mango sorbet.
- Located at 8120 N. Hayden Road in Scottsdale.
- Lead by chef and owner Christopher Collins, Sweet Provisions is unique because all of its ice cream-centric concoctions are made out of ice cream created with Arizona dairy and local ingredients. In addition to ice cream, there are pies, cookies, brownies and other baked treats.
- Favorites include banana splits and old-school floats.
The Baked Bear
- Located at 7366 E. Shea Blvd., #106, in Scottsdale.
- Move over ice cream scoops—the Baked Bear features made-to-order ice cream sandwiches. Its original cookie recipes are baked from scratch and served fresh out of the oven daily with craft homemade ice cream. Rob Clark and Anthony Velez own the popular ice cream sandwich concept.
- Bear Batter ice cream is the signature flavor at The Baked Bear. It’s a bright blue cake batter flavored ice cream mixed with fudge and brownie bits.